There is a wide choice of English tests available, but often English students are asked to choose between the IELTS or TOEFL exam. Often it is the students’ choice as both exams are accepted as meeting the entry requirements for academic settings. However, in some cases the IELTS is requested for visa purposes to Canadian or Australian immigration. If this is not the case, you have even more to choose from and may want to review this guide to choosing an Engish test before you decide on the IELTS or TOEFL.
As it is often up to the English test taker to decide which of these two (or three as IELTS has two versions) exams, here is a guide to making the decision. To begin with, here are some points to take into consideration before you decide whether to take the IELTS or the TOEFL exam. Take note of your answers:
- Do you need the IELTS or the TOEFL for academic English?
- Are you more comfortable with North American or British / UK accents?
- Do you feel more comfortable with a wide range of North American vocabulary and idiomatic expressions or British English vocabulary and idiomatic expressions?
- Can you type relatively fast?
- Do you want to finish the test as quickly as possible?